Arthur Memorial Cross

In December of 1924, after an "At Home", it was decided that the proceeds from this event would go the nucleus of a fund to provide a war memorial tablet for the church.

During a similar event in December, 1925, mention was made that the memorial was under construction in the grounds at the front of the church.

The memorial was unveiled and dedicated after the Communion Service on Sunday the 14th February 1926. The proceedings can be read in the Cumnock Chronicle of 26th February 1926.

This memorial sat in front of the Arthur Memorial church from its dedication until the late summer of 2003 when it was moved to its new resting place in the garden area at the front of the Parish Church.

The inscription reads


The World War


1914 - 1918


Our Heroes & Gentlemen


D Breckenridge
D Brown
A Buchanan
H Craig
W Craig
W Dowie
J Galston
J Irvine
J Logan
G McDonald
W McDonald
H McDonald
J Park
J Purdie
E Smith
A Sturrock
D Turnbull
W Turnbull
W G Tweedie


1939 - 1945


W Turnbull
J Calderwood
J Rorrison
R Rush


All the names on this memorial are to found on the village war memorial with the exception of the W Turnbull of the First World War. However, from the Cumnock Chronicle of the 10th April 1925 -

Turnbull – Western Infirmary, Glasgow on the 5th inst., William, eldest son of James Turnbull, blacksmith, New Cumnock, aged 29 years.

An obituary in the New Cumnock column of the same edition reads

THE LATE MR WM. TURNBULL

We deeply regret to announce the sudden decease of Mr. William Turnbull, eldest son of Mr. James Turnbull, blacksmith, at the age of 29. While on military service Mr. Turnbull was very dangerously wounded. He went through a series of severe operations and made so good a recovery that he was able to resume the blacksmith trade with his father. Last autumn he found it impossible to carry on, and after suffering great pain ever since, he lately went to the Western Infirmary, Glasgow, for hospital treatment. There, an operation on the knee was successful, but unsuspected internal complications supervened, and he passed away very suddenly. The greatest sympathy of the whole community is expressed for his father and mother and the other members of his family in their sad and sudden bereavement.

From his death certificate issued at Hillhead (644/12 0321) we learn that James was a blacksmith living at Polquheys Road and died from internal haemorrhage following an operation for tuberculosis on the knee, which was probably as a result of his war service.

He is buried in New Cumnock Afton Road Cemetery.

Home Page